Tuesday, December 11, 2007

#1. Smudge - Split with C Minus 7" (1998)

Smudge / C Minus 7" Split (1998)
Side A:
01. Hot Potato (Acoustic Demo)
02. Bread Crumb Trail (Acoustic Demo)
I didn't include the C Minus tracks as I don't know who they are.

This post is the first in a series of some of my favorite 7 inches.
Released in 1998 on BLIND RECORDS the 2 Smudge tracks on
this record are acoustic demos of songs from the 1996 release
"You Me Carpark... Now!". This release is quite rare although I
found it at a second hand record store, and paid $10 for it. For
those who know nothing about Smudge, they are an indie group
from Sydney (Australia) and were active between 1991 and 1999,
they released three studio albums and a bunch of other stuff
(7 inches etc). Initially asked by Half A Cow Records owner, Nic
Dalton, to record a track for his first 7" release, the group went
on to record the "Don't Want To Be Grant McLennan 7" Single",
which became John Peel's record of the week upon release. The
band still occassionally play shows although they haven't showed
up in my hood since 2004, when they played a few shows to
celebrate the re-release of the "Manilow" LP (with Bonus Tracks).
Although late last year Half A Cow Records celebrated its 16th
birthday with a bunch of all star shows around the country.
Smudge (acoustic) was advertised in the line-up but come the
night Tom Morgan felt ill and couldn't play, this also cancelled
headliners Sneeze, as Morgan is also a member of this group along
with Nic Dalton (Godstar, Lemonheads, Hummingbirds etc). So I
left that gig very early in a drunken rage, and killed a bunch of
people on the walk home (for looking at me funny). No not really,
actually Sneeze still played but I couldn't be bothered as I was
disapponted with the whole event, apparently it got bad reviews.
The quality is a bit ordinary, I'd rate it A-
Smudge:
Adam Yee - Bass
Alison Galloway - Drums, Vocals
Tom Morgan - Guitar, Vocals

3 comments:

Marka said...

Hi,
There seems to be a problem with the files. Could you upload this again? I want to thank you for your most excellent blog and specifically for this Smudge 7".

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I acquiesce in but I contemplate the collection should prepare more info then it has.